Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ok the first installment of my new project...






...this is done on a little canvas 20cm x 25cm and (after priming) I have sketched the picture out, coloured her in with watercolour pencils and then using a very fine wet brush, I have gone over the painting merging the colours together - it has come together quite nicely even though my preferred medium is acrylic paints I like the soft effect of the watercolour pencils.

Now I am stuck (I am experiencing an artistic block???) ...I have added filigree texture on her dress and hairband in gold, so she stands out with all her decorations but I don't have a clue what to do for the background (flowers, dragonflies or maybe some paper collage words...) - maybe I should just leave the background blank, perhaps adding a bit more colour to it? What do you think - which way should I go?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions, cheers Val

10 comments:

  1. I am kinda seeing a shabby background with lots of layers and then maybe a short saying or poem on top. It is looking great so far!! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its lovely again...what a bout hearts in all sizes?? She is adorable..so....well..whatever you paint..I am sure you come op with something very special again....can,t wait to see too..
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shonna and Francien, thanks heaps for giving me your thoughts - I am going back to the painting now and I have an idea what I will do to the background - Francien, I love your idea of heaps of hearts but I plan to make them out of the same material as the dress so the hearts will tie in nicelly with the overall look. Thank you both so much, cheers Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you already know what to do. Can't wait to see the finished piece. She looks lovely! I have a big box of watercolor pencils and haven't played with them yet - you are enspiring me to do so!! :) Silke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it Silke, its just so great to be creating lovey artwork, no matter the medium - Francien game me a great idea with the lovehearts, I have just finished the painting, its drying as I have just varnished it. I will take photos tomorrow and post them. Cheers Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your artwork!! very nice..and your blog is lovely. I see you have an idea of what you are doing already but I was thinking about a cloud of tiny flowers up in the sky and as they are raining down they become bigger and bigger with little dotted lines trailing them down....It's fun to see other people's ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful painting can't wait to see what you do to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watercolor pencils. I think the (wet) blending is a fun challenge. It works really well here for the hair & adds great depth.

    From your other work it's clear you have a talent for beautiful backgrounds that have interest but don't detract from the portrait. I'm looking forward to your update!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to the next installment as well!

    Gorgeous so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Magdalene, thanks for stopping by, your idea is great and I would love to use it for my next project, thank you...

    PBsArtStudio, Jo and Kathleen, thank you for the lovey comments...Jo, I am really enjoying watercolour pencils and may do a few more works in this medium, the depth of colour is lovely - I will go now and show you the final product, I was impatient (as usual) and the little painting is already finished. Thanks so much for having a look! HUGZ Val

    ReplyDelete